With many requests for gluten free variations to some of my baked recipes I have decided to add more gluten free recipes. Because we don’t need to eat gluten free as a family, I don’t bake this style of recipe. So I am stepping out of my comfort zone and getting some gluten free recipes up for you to try.
This Gluten Free Banana Cake/Bread is an easy one bowl mix. It doesn’t require a lot of ingredients and has a lovely texture and flavour. My favorite part is the caramalised edges, yum. I am using coconut flour and arrowroot (tapioca flour) as my gluten free flour substitutes.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free and nut free.
5 Large Eggs
4 Overripe Bananas, peeled and mashed
1/4 Cup Light Olive Oil
3/4 Cup Coconut Flour
1/4 Cup Arrowroot (tapioca flour)
1/2 Cup Raw Sugar
2 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Tsp Cinnamon, ground
1 Extra overripe banana for the top
LET’S PUT IT ALL TOGETHER
- Preheat the oven to 150 degree Celsius. This cake will cook long and slow.
- In a large mixing bowl add the eggs and whisk lightly.
- Add the bananas and olive oil and mix through.
- Add the coconut flour, arrowroot, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon and mix until combined.
- Pout into a lined baking tin. Cut the extra banana in half length ways and place on top. Place into the preheated oven to cook for 1 hour or until the cake bounces back when touched and a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cook for 20 minutes in the pan before removing and placing on a cooling rack to cool completely.
Makes approx 12 slices.
Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
Freezer friendly: individual slices can be wrapped in cling wrap and frozen in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.