I have taken the plunge and made my first mug cake and what better type to start with then a Salted Caramel one. Last week I made a 5 Minute Microwave Caramel Sauce and wanted to see what else I could make with it besides sneaking a spoon here and there.
It turns out that it is perfectly suited to this mug cake as it adds a lovely caramely gooey centre that turns this mug cake into more like a mug pudding. Best eaten warm it would be perfect to eat on a cold night wrapped up in a blanket watching Winners and Losers.
The one serve this makes was too much for me so I would attempt halving it into smaller microwave safe cups or enjoying the over indulgence.
3 Tbsp Butter, melted
1 Egg, lightly beaten
3 tbsp Milk
4 Tbsp Plain flour
2 Tbsp Brown sugar (you could even try 1 tbs as the caramel sauce is sweet already)
1/2 Tsp Baking powder
1/2 Tsp Cracked Sea Salt
2 Tbsp 5 Minute Microwave Caramel Sauce
LETS PUT IT ALL TOGETHER
1. Place the butter into a microwave safe mug and microwave for 10 seconds or until it just melts.
2. Add in milk and then the egg and lightly whisk with a fork until just combined.
3. Add dry ingredients into mug and whisk with the fork until mixed thoroughly.
4. Add a tablespoon of the 5 Minute Microwave Caramel Sauce to the top of the mixture. This will give you the burst of caramel as you break through the top.
5. Place mug into the microwave and cook for 2 minutes on medium heat.
6. The cake should still be gooey when you break through.
7. You can spoon the second tablespoon of the caramel sauce on top of the cooked cake and add a sprinkling of the cracked sea salt to enhance the salted caramel flavour.
Enjoy as is or serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
Oh wow this sounds delicious! Perfect night treat to snuggle with while watching a movie!
My children have been pestering me all week to make this. Today I finally succumbed and we are all incredibly disappointed. Tastes of soggy egg and greasy butter with the texture of rubber. Where is the caramel flavour?
Hi Tizzy. Sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy it. The caramel is from the caramel sauce you put in with it. I’m guessing you may of done something wrong as everyone has enjoyed this mug cake.
I just made this to curb a late night sugar craving, absolutely delicious! I substituted the plain flour with wholemeal as it was all I had in the house, but it worked just as well! Thank you for sharing this recipe , I will definitely be making it again!
So glad you enjoyed it.
I got scrambled egg again 🙁
mmmm, doesn’t sound right. Did you mix it through thoroughly? I notice your email is .uk maybe the measurements are a little off for your uk conversions?