I recently decided it was time to try Quinoa. I didn’t really know what it was but had some concept that you could use it in place of rice. The benefit of Quinoa is that it contributes to our dietary needs far more than rice does. It is high in fibre, calcium, potassium, iron, magnesium and phosphates. It is GLUTEN FREE and easy to digest. A real win win addition to meals.
A friend on Instagram mentioned on my post of the packet of Quinoa that there was a recipe for a Quinoa Chocolate Cake in a book she had. So I got googling to find a recipe as I had never cooked with Quinoa before. The search returned many results, I found one, (click here for adapted recipe) and adapted it slightly and you wouldn’t believe it, it is the most moist chocolate cake I have ever, ever had.
It is Gluten Free, however it’s not completely guilt free. I have served it with natural low fat yoghurt and blueberries to cut through the sweetness, the original recipe called for 1 1/2 cups of sugar which I used so I have only put 1 Cup in the ingredient list here.
2 Cups Cooked Quinoa (Click Here for Cooking Tips), cooled
1/3 Cup Almond Milk (or normal milk)
3/4 Cup Melted Butter
1 Cup Cocoa
1 Cup Caster Sugar
1 1/2 Tsps Baking Powder
1 Tsp Bicarbonate Soda
1/4 Tsp Salt
LET’S PUT IT ALTOGETHER
1. In a food placed the cooked and cooled quinoa and milk. Process until the quinoa forms a paste. You may need to scrape the sides occasionally.
2. Add the 4 eggs to the quinoa paste and process for a further minute, scraping sides as needed.
3. Add the melted butter to the food processor (do this while the food processor is only and poor in gradually through the slot in the top)
4. In a large bowl place the cocoa, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate and salt. Stir to combine.
5. Gradually pour the wet quinoa mix into the dry mix.
6. Mix just to combine (don’t overwork it)
7. Pour into a greased 20cm cake pan. I have used a push out pan and it was perfect for this.
8. Bake in a 170 degree Celcius oven for 50-60 minutes.
You will know when it is cooked as it will come away from the sides of the cake pan, it will a have a slight wobble to touch.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the cake pan and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Serve with natural yoghurt and berries.
Keep stored in the fridge in an airtight container for upto 5 days.