Last week it was Mexican Monday just like Taco Tuesday. I experimented with using tortillas as the “pie” crust and then filling it with Mexican flavoured minced beef and topped with grated cheese that was then melted in the oven. Served with guacamole, sour cream and salad for good measure.
It turned out delicious and such an easy way to enjoy a Mexican night. It also reheated perfectly the following night for leftovers.
500gm Beef Mince
1 Onion, diced
1 Tbs Garlic, minced
2 Tbs Taco Seasoning
2 Tbs Tomato Paste
1/4 Cup Water
1 Tin Red Kidney Beans
1 Cup Grated Tasty Cheese
Olive Oil, for cooking
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Serve with guacamole, sour cream and salad
LET’S PUT IT ALL TOGETHER
- Place a large non stick frypan over a high heat. Once heated add the olive oil, onion and garlic. cook stirring until the onion is translucent.
- Add the beef mince and break up so it is in small even size pieces. Cook until browned.
- Add the taco seasoning, tomato paste and water. Stir through. Season with a little extra salt and pepper as you like. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the minced is cooked through.
- Add the red kidney beams and stir through. Remove from the heat.
- Line a baking dish with the 6 tortillas, spoon in the cooked mince and then top with the grated cheese. Place into a pre-heated 180 degree Celsius oven and cook until the cheese is melted and the tortillas are golden.
- Remove from the oven and serve.
Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
No comments yet.