1.2 kg gravy/casserole beef, cut into chunks
1 tbs olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 bacon rashes, chopped
6 button mushrooms, sliced
2 Carrots, sliced
2 Zucchini, sliced
4 whole garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
2 tbs plain flour
2 cups beef stock
1 cup red wine, or omit and substitute with another cup of beef stock
2 fresh thyme sprigs
3 bay leaves
2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
2 Tsp of fresh or dried herbs of choice
Salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup milk
LET’S PUT IT ALTOGETHER
1. Place a casserole dish on the stove and heat the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic along with the beef.
2. Cook stirring until the beef browns.
3. Add the bacon and cook for 3 minutes.
4. Add the plain flour and stir to combine.
5. Add the mushrooms, carrots and zucchinis (or your favourite vegetables) and stir through.
6. Add the beef stock and red wine if using, along with the thyme and bay leaves. Stir well scraping the bottom of the dish to move any flour that stuck.
7. Place covered in a 180 degree oven and cook for 1.5 hours.
1. In a large bowl add the flour, herbs and chopped softened butter.
2. Rub the butter through the flour.
3. Add the milk gradually stirring with a knife to form a soft ball.
4. Don’t overwork the dough – treat it like a scone mix.
5. Roll approx 20 small balls.
6. Remove the casserole dish from the oven and place the dumplings gently on top to fill in the top.
7. Return to the oven uncovered and increase to 200 degrees. Cook for 20 minutes or until the dumplings start to brown.