The cooler weather is on its way and I cannot wait! It means filling casseroles and warm yummy desserts! I’m kicking off the cool change with this oh so good Caramel Apple Crumble.
Apples, covered in caramel with a cinnamon biscuit crumble is heaven in every bite. Serve with unsweetened thickened cream or go all out and use vanilla ice cream, either way this dessert will soon become your favourite Winter warmer.
I make my own cheats caramel for this recipe by mixing together condensed milk and treacle. You can however use the pre-made Caramel in a can in their place.
8 Granny Smith Apples (Green apples), peeled cored and cubed
395gm Sweetened Condensed Milk (one can)
1/4 Cup Treacle
1/2 Cup Plain Flour
1 Cup Quick Oats
50gm Butter, cubed and softened
1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
LET’S PUT IT ALL TOGETHER
- Prepare the apples and then place into a large saucepan with 1/4 cup water. Set on a medium high stove with the lid on to steam for 5 minutes. Shake occasionally to ensure the apples don’t stick. After 5 minutes remove from the stove and drain most of the liquid.
- While the apples are cooking in a medium bowl mix together the sweetened condensed milk and treacle. This will make your caramel.
- In another bowl mix the flour and oats and then add the butter and rub through the dry mix until it resembles breadcrumbs. A two tablespoons of the caramel mix and mix through.
- Spoon a third of the caramel mix in with the cooked apples and mix through.
- Transfer the caramel apples into a oven proof dish approximately 20cm x 20cm.
- Dollop on the remaining caramel over the top of the apples.
- Crumble over the crumble and spread out, sprinkle over the cinnamon.
- Place into a preheated 180 degree Celsius oven for 15 minutes or until the crumble is golden and the apples are bubbling.
Leave to cool for 5 minutes before serving with cream or ice cream.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat before serving or enjoy cold.