We have never been big chicken nugget eaters in this house, Mr 5 has never asked for them and I have never bought the frozen variety for them to have. However, Mr 3 did point them out on a recent trip for a treat meal at a fast food restaurant so I decided it was time to make my own.
Making your own chicken nuggets is obviously more time consuming then pulling some out of the freezer, but nothing beats the satisfaction of knowing your children are eating something that is actually good for them. A little extra effort once will mean you can stock your freezer up with homemade nuggets for those night you don’t feel like cooking. They are also easily made gluten free.
400gm Chicken Breasts, cut into chunks
1/2 Carrot, cut into slices
1/2 Zucchini, peeled, cut into slices
1 Tbs Garlic Powder
1/2 Tbs Mustard Powder
1 Tbs Onion Powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Breadcrumbs – I used Gluten free corn breadcrumbs as they give it a lovely crunchy texture. Panko breadcrumbs are also perfect for this recipe.
Plain flour, or gluten free plain flour.
LETS PUT IT ALL TOGETHER
1. In a food processor place the carrot and zucchini, with the metal chopping bade process until they are finely diced.
2. Add the chicken breast, garlic, mustard and onion powders (you can use all, some or none of these) and salt and pepper. Process for approx 45 seconds or until the mixture starts to come together.
3. Remove the blade from the food processor. Set up a crumbing station, a bowl of flour, abowl of egg and a dash of milk whisked together, and a bowl of breadcrumbs.
4. Take tablespoon sized amounts of the chicken mix and roughly form a nugget shape. Dust in the flour, dip in the egg mix and coat in the breadcrumbs. Repeat until all the chicken mixture is used.
5. These can now be placed on a lined baking tray with a spray of cooking oil and baked in a 200 degree celcius oven for 10-15 minutes or until they are lightly golden and bounce back when touched. Depending on your oven you may need to turn half way.
Alternative cooking methods:
Air Chef Air Fryer: Place a single layer of nuggets into a 200 degree celicus preheated air fryer basket, spray with cooking oil and bake for 10 minutes.
Shallow Fry: Place a layer of cooking oil into a fry pan at a medium high heat, add the chicken nuggets and cook until each side is golden.
Freezer Friendly: Place into a zip lock bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Cook from frozen – add and extra 5 minutes to the stated cooking time in the recipe.