I always like to get creative in the kitchen and make ordinary meals a little more “exciting”. I decided to wrap some pork sausages with bacon and add in some complementing vegetables and yes an apple to make an easy tray bake dinner.
Total hands on time was only 5 minutes and then it cooked happily away in the oven. You can prep this dish in the morning or before school pick up and leave it in the fridge until you are ready to cook it.
I have used one of my favourite bacon’s D’Orsogna Smokey BBQ Streaky Bacon , you can find this in the fridge section of your local Woolworths. The smokey flavour spreads through the potatoes as the bacon cooks and the fat drips down to help everything cook just perfectly. The bacon itself becomes crispy and complements the other soft ingredients.
8 Pork Sausages
1 Pkt D’Orsogna Smokey BBQ Streaky Bacon
4 Washed Potatoes, cut into thin wedges
1 Apple, cut into thin wedges
1/2 Red Onion, sliced finely
1 Tbs Rosemary, dried
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 Tbs Olive Oil
1 Cup Frozen Peas
2 Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
LET’S PUT IT ALL TOGETHER
1. Line a tray with baking paper. Spread out the potato and apple wedges, sprinkle over the sliced onion.
2. Take a sausage and a slice of the bacon and wrap it around the sausage. Place on the bed of potatoes and apples. Repeat until all the sausages are wrapped. You may be one slice short of bacon, simply cut the last slice in half down the middle.
3. Sprinkle on the rosemary, salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Place into a pre-heated 180 degree Celsius oven to bake for 45 minutes.
4. After the 45 minutes, sprinkle the frozen peas over everything and return to the oven for 15 more minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and finish off with apple cider vinegar drizzle over everything. The vinegar brings everything together by adding some sweetness and tang.
Serves 4 – 6
Store leftovers in the fridge in an air tight container for up to 3 days.