I have taken the classic stroganoff flavours and turned the humble sausage into a delicious meal. This sausage stroganoff with macaroni and cheese is set to become a family favourite.
Easy to make, budget friendly and on the table in around 20 minutes means that it is the perfect mid-week meal.
This dish is also freezer friendly so make a double serve and freeze some for a dinner on a night that you don’t feel like cooking.
5 Beef Sausages
5 Mushrooms, diced
1 Onion, sliced finely
1 Tbs Minced Garlic
1/4 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 Cup Chicken Stock
1/2 Cup Sour Cream
4 Cups Cooked Macaroni (approx 1 1/2 Cups raw)
1 Cup Cheese, grated
Salt and pepper to taste
LETS PUT IT ALL TOGETHER
1. Cook the macaroni according to the packet instructions until it is al dante.
2. While the pasta is cooking fill a large frypan half the way up with water, add the sausages and bring to the boil. Boil until the sausages are firm. Remove the sausages and discard the water.
3. Place the frypan over a medium high heat. Add a little oil followed by the onion and garlic. Cook until the onion begins to soften and then add the mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes stirring regularly.
4. Slice the sausages on an angle into pieces and add to the frypan, stir through. Add the chicken stock, worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper, stir through and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 8-10 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the sour cream. Stir through to combine.
5. Add the cooked macaroni to the frypan and stir through. Top with the grated cheese and place under the grill for 5 minutes. (Make sure the handle of your frypan doesn’t get heated by the grill.) Alternatively, if you don’t have a grill transfer the meal into a oven safe dish prior to adding the cheese and place in a pre-heated 200 degree celcius oven for 10 minutes.
Freezer friendly: Once cooled, store in a freezer safe air tight container for up to 3 months. When you are ready to eat simply defrost in the fridge overnight and then reheat in the microwave or oven.
No comments yet.