500 grams button mushrooms – stalks cut off and sliced finely
1 Onion sliced
3 Garlic cloves sliced
50 grams plain flour
750 mls Stock – I used beef but you can use chicken or vegetable as well.
1/2 tablespoon fresh Thyme
The juice from 1/2 a lemon
Salt and Pepper to taste
LETS PUT IT ALTOGETHER
- Place the butter in a pot and allow to melt
- Add the onion and garlic to the pot and allow to cook for 1 minute
- Add the sliced mushrooms and stir over a gentle heat for 5 minutes
- Add the flour and stir continually for 1 minute until the mixture is “gluggy”
- Gradually add the stock and stir well after each addition
- Add the thyme and lemon juice
- Season with salt and pepper
- Allow to simmer for 30 – 40 minutes
- You can give it a give it a rough blend with a stick blender to break up any larger pieces of mushrooms
- Enjoy with crunchy bread
This is best enjoyed as an entree.
Mushroom facts if need some convincing on how good they are for you”
Daily Values of Vitamins and Minerals:
Pantothenic Acid 12%
Health Benefits of Mushrooms
Because mushrooms are so low in calories they can help prevent obesity which is a risk factor for many conditions including: Type 2 Diabetes, certain types of cancer, and cardiovascular disease.
Mushrooms are a good source of many nutrients including: the B Vitamins, Vitamin D, the mineral copper, potassium, and the antioxidants ergothioneine and selenium. In fact just 5 brown Cremini mushrooms offers 31% of the recommended daily amount of selenium in comparison to the 45% found in 3 1/2 ounces of turkey. Selenium is a powerful antioxidant that helps to protect cells from the damaging effects of free radicals.