On the last week of term two my sons class had a bake sale to raise money for a charity. We decided to do Cupcake Ice Creams cones so that they would be different from all the other cupcakes that were being sent in. They turned out to be a success with a sell out in minutes… woohoo. This is how we made them.
1 Packet cheap vanilla cake mix
12 Ice Cream Cones
1 Cup Chocolate Melts
2 Tbs Butter
1 Cup Icing Sugar
1 Tbs Hot Water
LET’S PUT IT ALL TOGETHER
- Make the vanilla cake mix according to the instructions on the packet.
- Line a 12 hole muffin tray with muffin liners. Divide the vanilla cake mix evenly into the muffin liners.
- Add the ice cream cone on top, pushing down a little.
- Place into a pre-heated 180 degree Celsius oven to cook for 10-15 minutes or until you see the cake mix puff up.
- Remove from the oven and gently push down any ice cream cones that may be on an angle. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing the muffin liners gently. Allow to cool completely before icing.
To make the icing:
1. Melt the chocolate chips and butter in the microwave. Use medium high and melt in 30 second bursts, stirring after each burst until the chocolate and butter are melted.
2. Transfer to a stand mixer, add the icing sugar and hot water and beat until thick and creamy. The icing will set quickly.
Ice the cupcake tops to form the shape of the ice cream. Press into sprinkles. Once the icing is set you can bag up or store in an air tight container.