On a Monday I love to make a big dish of something that I know we can eat for a couple of meals during the week, and one of my favourite dishes to make is lasagna. This beef and bacon version is so full of flavour it will leave you craving for more.
I have used D’Orsogna Natural Bacon which comes in two sealed sections so you can use half now and the other half later in the week. You will find it in the fridge section of your local Woolworths.
Corrugated lasagna sheets make this dish aesthetically fun for the kids.
150gm D’Orsogna Natural Bacon, diced
500gm Beef Mince
1 Onion, diced
1 Tbs Garlic, minced
1 Tbs Oregano, dried
700ml Tomato Passata
200ml Chicken Stock
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 Carrot, grated
1 Zucchini, grated
1 Packets (375gm) Corrugated Lasagna Sheets
2 Cups Mozzarella Cheese, grated
Optional: baby spinach
100 gm butter or light margarine
2 Tbs Plain Flour
3-4 Cups Milk (full cream or skim)
1 Cup Grated Cheese
- Place a large fry pan over a medium high heat. Add the bacon and cook until it starts to brown. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion softens.
- Add the beef mince, break up in the pan and mix through the bacon and onion mix. Season to taste.
- Add 200ml of the passata and chicken stock and oregano and mix through. Reduce to a simmer to cook for 10 minutes. While the meat is cooking, make the white sauce.
- Prepare the white sauce, place the butter in a medium sauce pan and melt over a medium high heat. Once melted add the plain flour and stir for approximately 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and reduce to a medium heat, continue to whisk every 30 seconds or so making sure you don’t burn the bottom on the mixture. After about 8 minutes it should start to thicken, remove from the heat and add the cheese mixing well to combine.
- Assemble the lasagna: pour one third of the remaining passata over the base of a 40cm x 20cm x 10cm baking dish. Cover with the uncooked lasagna sheets. Top with the beef and bacon mix. Sprinkle on the grated carrot and zucchini (and baby spinach if using), pour over a third of the white sauce and sprinkle with cheese. REPEAT for another two times finishing with white sauce and cheese on top.
- Place into a pre-heated 180 degree Celisus oven and cook for 45 minutes or until the top is golden and the sauce is bubbling around the outside. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing.Serve with a side salad.Serves 6-8Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freezer friendly, place portions into an airtight and freezer safe container and freezer for up to 3 months. Allow to defrost in the fridge before reheating in the microwave.
This is a sponsored post for D’Orsogna. Find more recipes like this one visit the D’Orsogna Website and D’Orsogna Facebook Page.
This was a HIT in our house. I added the carrot and zucchini to the mince mixture and cooked it out a bit. I also only used the passata on the bottom layer. It turned out great!
With the little bit of mince mixture I had left over, I added a tablespoon of tomato paste and grated cheese and put it into pastry in the pie maker… so delicious!! Will make this again for sure!