Looking for ideas on how to use up the Hot Cross buns that seem to multiply over Easter.
You could simply freeze them to enjoy later, but if you have some lying around that are not as fresh as they were the day you bought them, this simple twist on the classic bread and butter pudding will go down a treat.
6 Hot Cross Buns, sliced in half
1 1/2 Cups Milk
2 Tbs Caster Sugar
Nutella, to spread
LET’S PUT IT ALTOGETHER
You can make these in individual ramekins as I have done or use a baking dish.
1. Slice the hot cross buns in half and spread Nutella on the insides.
2. In a bowl whisk the eggs, milk and caster sugar.
3. If using ramekins place the bottom slice of the hot cross bun in first ( you may need to cut this I’m half width wise to fit. Otherwise if using a baking tray lay your tops and bottoms out in an alternating pattern.
4. For ramekins pour 1/6 of the mixture into each ramekin, for a baking dish pour the egg mixture evenly over the layer out hot cross buns.
5. For ramekins, place the hot cross bun lid on top. For both the ramekin and baking dish allow to sit for 5 minutes so the hot cross bun can soak the mixture up.
6. Cover with aluminium foil
7. For ramekins place I a deep baking tray and fill the tray with water so that it goes up to half way on the ramekins.
8. For the Baking dish place straight in the oven.
Bake in a 180 degree Celcius oven for 40 minutes or until the egg mix is set.
Serve with a sprinkle of icing sugar or if your feeling extra naughty a dollop of ice cream.