This is how to guide for storing your leftover baked Christmas ham, or a Christmas ham that you don’t bake.
Once everyone has enjoyed his or her meal of the Maple and Mustard Glazed Baked Ham, it is important that the remaining ham is stored correctly so that it lasts.
The most common way to store a leg ham is in a Ham Bag. You find these readily available from supermarkets and department stores when it is close to Christmas.
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
- Fill a large clean bowl with cold water and ¼ cup white vinegar.
- Place the clean ham bag into the diluted vinegar solution and let it soak for a couple of minutes.
- Give it a squeeze and place the leg ham inside.
- Store in the refrigerator.
- Every three days the bag needs to be refreshed with the diluted vinegar solution.
- If stored correctly a leg ham should last for 1-2 weeks once cut.
Use your own judgement however, if it smells or feels different to when you first cut it then its probably been left in the fridge too long.
Leftover leg ham can also be frozen and used in soups, quiches, pasties, omelettes etc.